list a pet-friendly property
pet transportation
professionals in pet travel
pet emergency services

g friendly countries.

United States
Great Britain
Hawaii (new 5-day quarantine guidelines)

Pets on the Go members log-in now to the international database of 125 additional countries, their importation requirements, and llinks to the appropriate consular agency.

Pet Importation Information for Select Countries, Hawaii and Guam

Great Britain

Embassy of The United Kingdom of Great Britain
(202) 588-6500
Fax: (202) 588-7870
3100 Massachusetts Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20008

Import Regulations: Pets entering the United Kingdom from any country that does not fall under the Pet Travel Scheme must meet the existing quarantine regulations. Domestic dogs and cats are required to spend six months in quarantine in the United Kingdom. Application forms and guidance notes, including a complete list of kennels and catteries licensed for quarantine purposes, are available on the Internet.

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) is the system that allows pet animals from certain countries to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet the rules. It also means that people in the UK can, having taken their pets to these countries, bring them back without the need for quarantine.
PETS currently applies to the United States and Canada, 22 countries in Western Europe and to 15 rabies-free islands (Ascension Island, Australia, Barbados, Bermuda, Cyprus, Falkland Islands, Hawaii, Japan, Malta, Montserrat, New Caledonia, New Zealand, St. Helena, Singapore and Vanuatu). PETS information is available at the Pet Travel Scheme site.

The Scheme:

1. only applies to pet cats and dogs* ("pets") including guide dogs and hearing dogs.
2. is limited to pets coming into the UK from certain countries and territories
3. only operates on certain sea, air and rail routes to England

The following Q&A was developed by the Pet Travel Scheme to help people understand the regulations and prepare their pet for entry to Great Britain.

What you need to do to bring your pet into or back into the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme?

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) applies to pet dogs and cats (including guide and hearing dogs) that are resident in either the United Kingdom or one of the PETS qualifying countries.

To bring your animal into the UK under PETS from one of the qualifying countries you must carry out the following procedures in the order shown. If your pet is resident in France or Denmark these procedures maybe done in a different order.This page gives a short summary of the rules. Each title is a link to more detailed information. Please make sure that you have read and understood all of these pages before you bring your pet to the UK. If you are bringing your pet to the UK form a Long Haul country or territory, there is some more information that you must read.

Where PETS procedures can be carried out.

Your pet can be fitted with a microchip in any country. The rabies vaccination (including boosters), blood sampling, issuing the PETS certificate, the tick and tapeworm treatment and issuing the official certificate of treatment must all be carried out in either the British Isles, the Republic of Ireland or a qualifying country.

The six month rule
Your pet may not enter the UK under PETS until six months have passed from the date that your vet took the blood sample which led to a successful test result (see below). Once the vet has signed the PETS certificate and that six month period has passed, the PETS certificate is valid and your pet may enter the UK.

Have your pet microchipped

Before any of the other procedures for PETS are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so that it can be properly identified.

Have your pet vaccinated

After the microchip has been fitted your pet must be vaccinated against rabies.

Arrange a blood test

After your pet has been vaccinated, it must be blood tested to make sure that the vaccine has given it a satisfactory level of protection against rabies.

Get a PETS certificate

Once these steps have been successfully completed, you can get an official PETS certificate from a government authorised vet.

  • Before your pet enters the UK, have it treated against ticks and a tapeworm
  • Your pet must be treated against ticks and a tapeworm between 24 - 48 hours before it is checked in for the journey to the UK. Any qualified vet can carry out the treatment. The vet must also issue an official certificate of treatment to show that this treatment has been carried out. If you are going abroad on a day trip with your pet, you will have to have this done before you go.
  • Sign a declaration of residency
  • You will have to sign a declaration (PETS 3) that your animal it has not been outside any of the PETS qualifying countries (listed in the accompanying form PETS 3A) in the six months before it enters the UK.
  • Arrange for your animal to travel on an approved route
  • Your animal must enter England from a PETS country travelling on approved route with an approved transport company

All of the material contained in this site is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from Dawbert Press Inc.

© Copyright 1998-2012, Dawbert Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of Dawbert Press'
Privacy and Terms and Conditions