Pet Importation Information for Select Countries, Hawaii and Guam
Hawaii (new 5-day quarantine guidelines)
Pets on the Go members log-in now to the international database of 125 additional countries, their importation requirements, and llinks to the appropriate consular agency.pet friendly and dog friendly countries.
Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Animal Quarantine Station
99-951 Halawa Valley Street
Aiea, Hawaii 96701-5602
Telephone (808) 483-7151, FAX (808) 483-7161 E-mail: email@example.com
Overview: Hawaii has approved a new pet quarantine program where pets may be released within five days or less, ideally at Honolulu International Airport, depending on the time it takes owners to provide all the required information regarding pre-arrival requirements that include:
- Two rabies vaccinations, with the last vaccination administered no more than 12 months prior to arrival if it was a one-year vaccine, or no more than 18 months prior to arrival if it was a three-year vaccine. (The two vaccinations may not be administered within 90 days of each other; and the last vaccine must be administered no less than 90 days prior to the pet's entry into the state);
- Microchip implantation for identification purposes;
- Blood serum test results with sufficient level of rabies antibodies; and
- 120-day pre-arrival waiting period between the time the lab receives the blood sample and the earliest date the pet may enter the state under the new program. The pre-arrival waiting period is necessary due to the long and variable length of rabies incubation, where the virus may hide in an animal before clinical signs of the disease become apparent. There is no test that can determine if an animal is carrying the rabies virus other than post-mortem.
The five-day or less quarantine program is a new option. The 30-day and the 120-day quarantine programs remain in effect for those pets who do not satisfy the new requirements. Fees for the five-day or less program will be $224 for up to five days of quarantine, and $165 for direct release from the airport. The cost of the 30-day and the 120-day quarantine programs remains at $655 and $1,080, respectively.
Hawaii 5-Day Quarantine Regulations: The following checklist is provided to help pet owners prepare for the implementation of the 5-day-or-less quarantine program that is scheduled to go into effect on June 30, 2003. All steps need to be completed in order to qualify for this program. If your pet cannot meet these requirements, please review the requirements for the 30-day and 120-day quarantine programs.
- My pet has been vaccinated at least twice for rabies in its lifetime.
- The vaccines were administered more than 90 days apart.
- If it was a 1-year licensed rabies vaccine: the most recent vaccination was done not more than 12
months prior to my pets date of arrival in Hawaii.
- If it was a 3-year licensed rabies vaccine: the most recent vaccination was done not more than 18
months prior to my pets date of arrival in Hawaii (the date and type of vaccine must be indicated on
the pets vaccination and health certificates.)
- The most recent vaccination was also done no less than 90 days prior to the date of arrival in
- Most Recent Vaccination Date: ______ ______ Type of vaccine (check): 1-year or 1 3-year
Previous Vaccination Date: _______________
Microchip (Microchip number: _______________________)
- My dog or cat has an electronic microchip implanted. (Required before a rabies blood test is
- The microchip can be read by a standard US issue AVID® scanner (AVID®, HomeAgain®) and my
veterinarian has verified this by scanning the chip.
- I understand that if my pet cannot be identified with a scanned microchip it will not qualify for either
direct airport release or the 5-day-or-less quarantine and will be assigned to 120 days quarantine
OIE-FAVN Rabie Blood Test
(Test date: ____ _______ Test result:____________ Planned Arrival Date________________)
- My pet had a successful OIE-FAVN rabies blood test done not more than 18 months and not less than 120 days prior to the date of arrival in Hawaii.
- The result of my pets blood test was greater than or equal to 0.5 IU/ml.
- The test was done at an approved lab (Kansas State University or the Food Analysis and Diagnostic Laboratory in Texas)
- I have a copy of this successful blood test result showing my pets microchip number.
WARNING! Arriving anytime before the 120-day waiting period has elapsed will result in disqualification of a pet from the 5-day-or-less quarantine program and direct airport release. The waiting period begins on the date the OIE-FAVN rabies blood test is received by the laboratory. The test must also have a result of > 0.5 IU/ml.
- I understand that if my pet has not waited the required 120 days from the date of the successful OIE- FAVN rabies blood test before arriving in Hawaii my pet will not qualify for either direct airport release or the 5-day-or-less quarantine program.
- I have original signature or carbon copy of rabies vaccination certificates for the two most recent rabies vaccinations my pet received. (Photocopies are not acceptable)
- The vaccination certificates have the vaccine name, lot or serial number, booster interval, vaccination date and expiration date listed.
- I have an original health certificate in English, which was done within 14 days of arrival in Hawaii including rabies vaccine name, lot or serial number, booster interval, vaccination date and expiration date.
- My vet has treated my pet for ticks with Fipronil or an equivalent long-acting product (Revolution® is not acceptable) within14 days of arrival and the product name and date of treatment is recorded on my health certificate.
Submission of Documents (Date Documents Sent:_____ _______)
(Send documents and payment to: Animal Quarantine Branch, 99-951 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, Hawaii 96701.)
- My rabies vaccination documents with original signature have been received by the Animal Quarantine Branch more than 10 days before my pet is scheduled to arrive in Hawaii for direct airport release.
- My completed AQS-2 Pet Owner Statement has been attached to my pets rabies vaccination documents and received by the Animal Quarantine Branch more than 10 days before my pet is scheduled to arrive in Hawaii for direct airport release.
- I have copies of necessary qualification documents (health certificate, rabies vaccination records, and blood test result) for myself and to accompany my pet. If I didnt send my original health certificate to the Animal Quarantine Branch in advance of my pets arrival, I will provide it
upon arrival at the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility. If I fail to bring the original health certificate (photocopy not acceptable), my pet will not be released.
- I have paid my fees ($165.00 per pet) in advance for direct airport release by cashiers check or money order (no personal checks are accepted). Payable to: Department of Agriculture. Pre-payment by cashier's check or money order is recommended for faster processing at the airport. VISA, MasterCard, travelers checks and cash will also be accepted upon arrival, but may delay processing time.
Additional Helpful Information
- I have verified my pets qualification to participate in the 5-day-or-less program at the Hawaii Department of Agriculture web site: http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm
- Direct Release at Airport - I understand that Direct Release is only done at Honolulu International Airport.
- I have arranged for my pet to arrive at the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility at Honolulu International Airport during normal inspection hours of 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM. I realize that it may usually take up to one hour for the airlines to transport my pet to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility [Phone: (808) 837-8092] and animals not arriving at the facility during normal inspection hours will not be released at the airport. Posted inspection hours are subject to change.
- I understand that animals on international flights will also need to clear U.S. Customs before they may be released from the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility. Please check with your airlines regarding U.S. Customs hours of operation to assure they will be open to process you pet for release.
- If my pet is not picked up that day, it will be transferred to the Animal Quarantine Station at 8:30 AM the following morning and will be entered into the 5-day-or-less program. Fees for the 5-day-or-less program are $224 per pet.
- I understand my pet will not qualify for direct airport release if ticks or other parasites are found at the time of arrival.
- Due to Federal Security regulations at the Honolulu International Airport, all pets that qualify for direct airport release, must be secured in their flight carriers when picked up from the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility until the animal is out of the Airport.
- I understand that direct release at Honolulu International Airport will not be possible when prohibited by Federal airport security advisories. Under those circumstances pets will be released the following day at the Animal Quarantine Station 99-951 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, Hawaii 96701, phone: (808) 483-7151, during normal office hours: Monday through Friday: 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM to 4:30PM Saturday, Sunday, State Holidays: 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM & 12:00 PM to 3:30PM
- I understand that an animal may only be released to the consignee identified on the shipmasters declaration. If I am not traveling with my pet, I have made arrangements with the airlines to consign the animal to the individual who will pick up my pet.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to arrange all transportation for my pet from the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility in Honolulu if my pet is released directly at Honolulu International Airport.
- I understand that I must notify the Animal Quarantine Station prior to arrival, follow the same procedures, and meet all the requirements each time my pet enters or returns to Hawaii.
- I understand that I will pay a fee of $165.00 per pet for direct airport release or $224 per pet for the 5-day-or-less program each time my pet enters or returns Hawaii.
- 5-Day-or-Less - Pets arriving between 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM will be transferred to the Animal Quarantine Station and entered under the 5-day-or-less program. The first day of quarantine shall be the day following the date of animal arrival into the State. In this situation, after all necessary documents are received and verified, pets may be picked up at the Animal Quarantine Station, 99-951 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, Hawaii 96701, phone: (808) 483-7151, during normal office hours: Monday through Friday: 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM & 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM
Saturday, Sunday, State Holidays: 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM & 12:00 PM to 3:30 PM
- I understand that I will be assessed an additional $18.70 each day my pet stays at the AnimalQuarantine Station beyond its scheduled release date of 5 days.
All of the material contained in this site is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from Dawbert Press Inc.
© Copyright 1998-2012, Dawbert Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of Dawbert Press' Privacy and Terms and Conditions