list a pet-friendly property
pet transportation
professionals in pet travel
pet emergency services
This information is provided by DEFRA and is for informational purposes only.

For official comment, please visit the site directly.

Pet Travel Scheme Regulations


The PETS certificate

To get your pet into the UK (or back into the UK) you will need an official PETS certificate (a PETS 1 in the UK). In Great Britain, this is completed and issued by a government-authorised vet known as a Local Veterinary Inspector (LVI). Most small animal veterinary practices in Britain have a resident LVI. If not, your own vet may be able to tell you where the nearest one works. Your local Defra Animal Health Divisional Office can also provide details.
For pets in other countries, a government-authorised vet in that country will issue the certificate. In Cyprus, the certificate must be one produced by the government of the Republic of Cyprus.

The transport company staff who will check your pet will need to see this certificate so make sure it is kept safe.


The certificate will show 'Valid from' and 'Valid until' dates. Your dog or cat can enter the UK only between these dates. The 'Valid from' date will be 6 months from the date that the blood sample was taken which gave a successful test result.

The certificate will confirm that your pet:

1. is identified by its microchip number;
2. has a current vaccination against rabies;
3. has had a blood test showing satisfactory protection against rabies.
4. shows no clinical signs of rabies.

If your pet does not meet all these conditions, it will not get a PETS certificate.

The certificate:

1. may be issued at any time after the above requirements have been met;
2. will be valid for a specific period of time;
will expire on the date your pet’s booster vaccination is required (the "valid until" date). Please note that in some Long Haul countries, the authorities may issue certificates which are valid for only one trip to the UK. Government vets in those countries will advise further.

A certificate will not become valid for entry to the UK until six months have passed from the date that your vet took the blood sample which gave a successful test result. Once the vet has signed the certificate and that six month period has passed,The PETS certficate is valid and your animal may enter the UK.

Renewing the certificate

You will need to ask a government authorised vet for a renewal certificate each time your pet is given its booster vaccination. The booster must be given by the "Valid until" date on the PETS certificate. A new certificate will only be issued if the booster is administered on time. If the revaccination date is missed, the pet will have to be vaccinated and then blood tested again and the six months wait form the date that the new blood sample is taken will apply. Renewal certificates are valid as soon as they are issued.

Pets on the Go is the definitive resource on pet accommodation and travel information. Our international resources, available to members, include pet importation information and our international database of accommodations. For more information about membership or to learn more about pet air transportation, please visit Pets on the

All of the material contained in this site is copyrighted and cannot be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without written permission from
Dawbert Press Inc.

© Copyright 1998-2012, Dawbert Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of Dawbert Press'
Privacy and Terms and Conditions